Olympian John Henwood is a running coach and strength trainer in New York City. He works with Alberto Salazar to coach world junior champion Mary Cain, and coaches Jane Vongvorachoti on her road to represent Thailand in the 2016 Olympic Games. But most of the time, John is coaching beginner runners and intermediate or sub-elite runners to run a best time or a qualifying time for a particular race.
As well as taking three group outdoor workouts per week for his running team (Henwood’s Hounds Racing Team), John works with Mile High Run Club to teach three indoor running classes per week, and is in charge of Mile High’s outdoor running groups.
Whether you are an Olympic runner or a recreational runner interested in improving performance, the training programs, although individualized, are based on the same principles and philosophy.
The focus is to develop your aerobic system while making you a stronger runner first, to then become a faster runner.
To develop the aerobic system, you need to focus on developing your body’s ability to absorb and transport oxygen to the lungs and muscles.
I teach runners how to train smart, and show them the tools needed for both the physical preparation and the mental preparation necessary for peak performance.
These tools are not just important for the world-class athlete, but for anyone who desires improvement in his or her performance.
The key is being able to use your training time and energy efficiently to allow yourself the best opportunity for success.
You will be designed an individual training program in both running and strength training (in the gym), which will be based on your physical ability and training availability, in order to give you your best results.
As you learn more and get stronger and fitter, you will find greater gain with less pain.
Please contact me with any questions.
Major Sporting Achievements
New Zealand Representations
- 1994-1998: (5x) Chiba International Relay in Japan
- 1994: Oceania Games in NZ 1,500m (Won gold medal)
- 1995: Hong Kong street mile (1st place)
- 1996: Malaysian Half marathon (7th place)
- 1999-2000: 10km road race in Boulder, Colorado (13th place)
- 2001: World Athletic Championships, Edmonton, Canada (25th in the 10,000m)
- 2002: Commonwealth Games, Manchester, England (10th in the 10,000m)
- 2004: Stanford, California. Ran 27mins 45secs to qualify for 10,000m race in the Athens Olympics. This is the 3rd fastest time ever by a kiwi.
- 2004: OLYMPIC GAMES IN ATHENS, 10,000M FINALS
- 2005: New York City Marathon 13th place 2.15.05.
- 2008: New York City Marathon 21st Place 2.21.55
- 8 times New York Road Runner of the year in age group.
- Also have been selected for many world cross country championships but did not compete in these events as they were not my focus.
NZ Championship Titles
- 1994: NZ Half Marathon Champion
- 1997: NZ 3000m Track Champion
- 1998: NZ Road Running Champion
- 2001: NZ 10,000m track Champion (Ran the 4th fastest time in NZ history and the fastest time in NZ for the past 30 years.)
- 2002: NZ 10,000m Track Champion again
- 2004: NZ 5,000m Track Champion
- 1994-2002: Worked for Sportswide Ltd. (Sportswide operates 5-6 fitness centers in the Wellington region.)
- 1994: Worked in Sportswide Quality Inn Fitness Centre as a fitness consultant.
- 1995: Manager of the AMP Fitness Centre for Sportswide in New Zealand.
- 1997: Manager of The BNZ Fitness Centre for Sportswide in New Zealand.
- 1999-2002: Personal Trainer/Massage Therapist/Running Coach at the Sportswide-owned Majestic Club, one of the most expensive and exclusive fitness centres in New Zealand.
- 2002: Worked on a cruise ship (Sea Princess and Star Princess) for a nine-month contract as a Fitness Instructor. We cruised The Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, and Alaska. I taught Spinning which I loved 5 days per week. This kept me fit for my forthcoming Olympic preparation. I also taught Pilates (mat) and provided personal training services to clients. I gave seminars on the Zone Diet, Fitness for the Elderly, and Detox for weight loss and provided massage therapy for clients as needed.
- 2003: Worked in Washington DC as a Personal Trainer/Coach at a Personal Training Studio for 3 months before training full-time for the Athens Olympics.
- 2005: Running for NYAC New York Athletic Club
- 2008: Assistant Track Coach at Trevor Day Private School in New York.
- 2010-2014: Runner for Henwoods Hounds Racing Team
- 2005-Present : Running Coach and Strength training coach