Olympian John Henwood is a Running coach and Strength trainer in New York City. He is the coach of previous World Junior Champion Mary Cain and has also coached Jane Vongvorachoti on her road to represent Thailand in the 2016 Olympic Games. But most of the time, John is coaching beginner to sub-elite runners to run a best time, first race or a qualifying time for a particular race. As well as this, he conditions his runners with plenty of strength training with one on one strength training sessions to create an individual strength training program for their own particular needs, which they can follow.
Major Sporting Achievements
New Zealand Representations
- 1994-1998: (5x) Chiba International Relay in Japan
- 1994: Oceania Games in NZ 1,500m (Won gold medal)
- 1995: Hong Kong street mile (1st place)
- 1996: Malaysian Half marathon (7th place)
- 1999-2000: 10km road race in Boulder, Colorado (13th place)
- 2001: World Athletic Championships, Edmonton, Canada (25th in the 10,000m)
- 2002: Commonwealth Games, Manchester, England (10th in the 10,000m)
- 2004: Stanford, California. Ran 27mins 45secs to qualify for 10,000m race in the Athens Olympics. This is the 3rd fastest time ever by a kiwi.
- 2004: OLYMPIC GAMES IN ATHENS, 10,000M FINALS
- 2005: New York City Marathon 13th place 2.15.05.
- 2008: New York City Marathon 21st Place 2.21.55
- 8 times New York Road Runner of the year in age group.
- Also have been selected for many world cross country championships but did not compete in these events as they were not my focus.
NZ Championship Titles
- 1994: NZ Half Marathon Champion
- 1997: NZ 3000m Track Champion
- 1998: NZ Road Running Champion
- 2001: NZ 10,000m track Champion (Ran the 4th fastest time in NZ history and the fastest time in NZ for the past 30 years.)
- 2002: NZ 10,000m Track Champion again
- 2004: NZ 5,000m Track Champion
- 1994-2002: Worked for Sportswide Ltd. (Sportswide operates 5-6 fitness centers in the Wellington region.)
- 1994: Worked in Sportswide Quality Inn Fitness Centre as a fitness consultant.
- 1995: Manager of the AMP Fitness Centre for Sportswide in New Zealand.
- 1997: Manager of The BNZ Fitness Centre for Sportswide in New Zealand.
- 1999-2002: Personal Trainer/Running Coach at the Sportswide-owned Majestic Club, one of the most expensive and exclusive fitness centres in New Zealand.
- 2002: Worked on a cruise ship (Sea Princess and Star Princess) for a nine-month contract as a Fitness Instructor. We cruised The Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, and Alaska. I taught Spinning which I loved 5 days per week. This kept me fit for my forthcoming Olympic preparation. I also taught Pilates (mat) and provided personal training services to clients. I gave seminars on the Zone Diet, Fitness for the Elderly, and Detox for weight loss.
- 2003: Worked in Washington DC as a Personal Trainer/Coach at a Personal Training Studio for 3 months before training full-time for the Athens Olympics.
- 2005: Running for NYAC New York Athletic Club
- 2008: Assistant Track Coach at Trevor Day Private School in New York.
- 2010-Present: Runner for Henwoods Hounds Racing Team
- 2005-Present : Running Coach and Strength training coach
- 2016-2018 : Mile High Run Club indoor Coach
- 2016- Present : Mile High Run Club Outdoor Coach